The Importance of Proofreading Translated Documents
Why is proofreading important?
What sort of things do our proofreaders look at?
Our team of skilled proofreaders can carefully inspect translated text for errors such as:
- Spelling. Spelling errors will make your text – and as a result, your business – look unprofessional.
- Grammar and punctuation. Incorrect grammar can completely change the meaning of a sentence, and at worst can lead to it being nonsensical.
- Style and formatting. It’s important that the text remains consistent with itself in terms of style. Does it use ‘per cent’ or ‘%’? Does it include full stops after bullet points? Are the sub-headings the same size, and formatted consistently? All of these issues can make a piece look inconsistent and unprofessional if they are ignored.
- Sentence structure. During the writer’s own editing process, sentences will typically get chopped up and changed in order to improve them. It’s important to have a fresh pair of eyes to take a look at the translated text to confirm that everything still makes sense.
- Readability On some occasions, proofreaders may make adjustments for style and readability.
One of the key things to remember is that proofreading is almost an umbrella term: different clients require us to look at different aspects of the text. We always aim to be as flexible as possible.
Is proofreading essential?
However, our skilled team of proofreaders are always there to give the text a quick once over before it’s returned to you.
What is your proofreading process?
If required, we can also provide a short report on the quality of the original translation, or a more detailed report on the individual corrections, including reasons for the changes. Such is the quality of our linguistic analysis, many of our proofreading clients come back to us with their translation requirements too.
Proofreading a document will do what wonders?
- Produce a typo-free, accurate and stylistically-appropriate translation
- Ensure high-level quality control
- Give you full confidence in your final output
We ensure that your translated document is grammatically and stylistically flawless, hitting the mark every time, whatever the source or target language.